Monday, January 29, 2007

Are you LinkedIn?




I’m not very friendly by nature, but all this interconnectivity in the online world just makes me verrry sociable. This morning, I signed up for an account at LinkedIn and instantly connected with past and present colleagues who “linked-in” long before I did. I’m not a huge fan of social networking sites. I would only join one if it would serve a greater purpose like promoting my high-school batch’s mailing list (I’m doing this at Friendster) or stalking celebrities I admire (They’re at Multiply). What drew me to LinkedIn is the fact that it’s a networking site for professionals. Through my account, I am able to connect with colleagues in the publishing industry, promote my online projects, and tap future project partners. Neat, huh? No, I don’t have to write cheesy testimonials, but I can vouch for a certain colleague and make recommendations (I'd be happy to do this!).

And while we’re on the subject of networking, did you know that girls are the heaviest users of social networking sites? A survey by Pew Internet and American Life project showed that of 935 youths aged 12 to 17, older teens, particularly girls are more likely to use social networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook. Would the case be the same with adult surfers, I wonder? In any case, let’s just hope that these teenage girls would become professionals someday and join LinkedIn. ;o)

How about you? What's your favorite networking site?

Related post:

No comments: