Sunday, February 01, 2009

Happy Chinese New Year

Last Sunday, I got the chance to attend a family reunion again at my father side to celebrate the Chinese New Year. We have this tradition of getting together for as long as I can remember. I guess it is also one of those rare times when I get to catch up with grandma (a-ma) where I spend most of my elementary schooling.


I also had a good chat with my uncle (he is the fifth in the family and we refer to him as go-che). As we talked about his kids (my young cousins) , I told him how I remembered when he used to teach me with my assignments. He is actually very busy. But in those rare times he helps out, I usually have an a-ha moment. He was a vivid storyteller and told me more info than what my textbook said about World War 2. In high school, I had the best Statistics presentation when the scenario he has given is that out of x number of watches, one of them is delayed for 1 second. The other one is computing growth of teacher salaries for the past ten years and perform a comparison.

To keep the family in touch, I created a family tree in Geni and this allowed us to be posted about family birthdays. Unfortunately, I don't get to logon that often.

Overall, this is one of the best Chinese New Year I got to celebrate. My reconnection with my go-che is something worth cherishing.